This is what the apostle Paul prayed for new believers:
“For this reason, since the day we heard about you, we have not stopped praying for you and asking God to fill you with the knowledge of his will through all spiritual wisdom and understanding. And we pray this in order that you may live a life worthy of the Lord and may please him in every way: bearing fruit in every good work, growing in the knowledge of God, being strengthened with all power according to his glorious might so that you may have great endurance and patience, and joyfully giving thanks to the Father, who has qualified you to share in the inheritance of the saints in the kingdom of light” (Colossians 1:9-12).
We believe this was a prayer inspired by the Holy Spirit and therefore answered by God. Let’s enumerate the requests.
1. To fill you with the knowledge of His will
2. Through all spiritual wisdom and understanding, in order that…
3. You may live a life worthy of the Lord
4. And may please Him in every way
5. Bearing fruit in every good work
6. Growing in the knowledge of God
7. Being strengthened with all power so that…
8. You may have great endurance and patience
9. Joyfully giving thanks to the Father.
Please read this list off to the Lord in prayer for the Christians you know.
Here is a prayer from Colossians 4:3-4 you can pray for those you know in Christian ministry: “And pray for us, too, that God may open a door for our message, so that we may proclaim the mystery of Christ.” Pray that we may proclaim it clearly as we should.
Written December 1993.
This post coordinates with tomorrow’s reading in the To the Word! Bible Reading Challenge. If you are not in a daily reading plan, please join us at TotheWord.com. We would love to have you reading with us.